What training did you get from your parents in managing emotions?
If you are like me, you didn’t get much really constructive help in recognising or regulating feelings.
“Don’t worry! It will all turn out right! ” was about the extent of the emotional management in my house.
I guess that’s why many people automatically default to ineffective ways to manage difficult emotions as adults.
Ineffective ways such as:
1. Avoidance: “I’m okay, really!”
2. Denial: “Nothing wrong with me!”
3. Wishful thinking: “She’ll be right!”
4. Worry: “What if…..”
5. Self-denigration: “What do you expect? I’m a loser!”
6. Blaming others: “She make...(sign-up as a member to continue reading this article)